Monday, November 10, 2014

Maia's Birth Story

The birth story. Kind of like an adoption story. Except much more graphic. And physically demanding.

I went into labor at 2:00 am on October 14. 1 day after Meili's 3 year post placement visit. I woke up with back contractions. I laid there for a few minutes thinking it was nothing. But when the second, third, and fourth contractions occurred I knew it was the real deal. I woke up the boyfriend and had him start timing the contractions. He tried but my frustration with him quickly grew and I ended up doing it myself. They were fairly regular - 5-7 mins apart and 30-45 seconds in duration. I started to get scared and did the only thing that I knew would make me feel better.

I called my mom.

Yes, I was a crying, sobbing mess and knew that somehow my mom would make it all better. She and my dad came over at 3:00 am. They sat there with me while I continued to labor. Thankfully, Meili slept during all of the commotion. I finally decided to call the OB clinic at 8:00 am and had them go back home until I heard something back. I called the clinic at 8:00 am sharp and had an appointment for 9:00 am. My mom took me to the appointment while the boyfriend took Meili to preschool. We all met up at the clinic.
My mom took this as we were getting into her car to head to the OB clinic. I was trying to smile but was experiencing a contraction when she took the photo. I'm also wearing the necklace that Meili made for me. "Just for an emergency - in case you need it," she said.

I was really scared that the OB was going to tell me that I wasn't dilated and that I needed to go back home. Instead, I heard the most glorious news - I was 3-4 cm dilated and he was going to admit me to the hospital. I literally started crying because I was so happy with the news! I was admitted and shown into a L & D room by 10:30 am.


Even though I was hurting, we tried to have some fun. Mom suggested that I 'ring the boyfriend's neck' for causing me pain. So I tried but couldn't get my arms up far enough.


Just kidding.


The contractions were starting to increase and were still tolerable but pain relief was needed. Every person that walked into the room, I asked if I could have an epidural. I figured it was better to continue to ask rather than wait forever. I got the epidural around 11:30. It was awesome! The actual epidural procedure didn't hurt. I just built it up in my mind that there would be a lot of pain. The medication worked extremely well in numbing my abdomen from the contractions. I continued to feel pressure but no pain. My legs went completely numb though and I couldn't move them. Literally it was like I was paralyzed from the waist down. My Mom and boyfriend had to reposition them for me every hour or so. After the epidural took complete effect, the OB doctor came in and broke the amniotic sac.

My Mom and I passed the time by watching Divergent on the laptop. The boyfriend slept on the couch. My Dad arrived close to 4 pm. We all just talked and laughed while waiting for Maia. Around 4:30, the nurse came in and checked me. I had dilated to 10 cm but Maia wasn't fully engaged. She had me sit up and have gravity do its thing with the baby. 

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment