Monday, September 22, 2014

Girls' bedroom

I can *officially* say that construction on the girls' bedroom is complete. Painting, window trim, baseboards, a new fan, and carpet installation are done - all for less than $500!

How did I do it?

Paint and carpet were the most expensive. I believe in a good paint. Nothing cheap because you'll just be repainting in a year. That came from Lowe's. I kept to a white (except for the striped wall) because it's cheaper and the girls' toys/stuff will add any needed color to the room. The carpet is from Home Depot. It can only be bought online. I chose to go with carpet tiles in a neutral tan. This way if there's an accident or stain, I can replace just that 1 tile without having to worry about the entire flooring. And with a 4 year old and baby, there will be plenty of stains in the future.


3/4 of the window trim is from the original baseboard - just needed some sanding and new paint. The top piece is a modern, decorative molding piece from Lowe's. It was cut in 1/2; the other 1/2 will be used for the playroom's window.


The furniture was recycled from Meili's old room. I do plan on painting the dresser green to match the green stripe. But not until I'm on maternity leave. Same with the artwork. Meili has got a few nice pieces of artwork from China that I want to place on the walls. Again, I'll do that when I'm on maternity leave. I'm also on the lookout for 2 giant Ms to paint and place on the wall by the girls' beds. Just haven't found exactly what I want yet.


I wish that I could take credit for any work performed in the girls' bedroom. Sadly @ 32-24 weeks pregnant, the only thing I could do was sit in a chair and watch my family put the room together. I will say that they were an excellent team, probably stemming from my superior leadership - lol! I'm extremely lucky to have a supportive family who will do just about anything for my girls and me.
 

Meili was quite surprised to come home to a completed room. Her first words to describe it were "it's beautiful!" Her happiness makes all the hard work worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Julie.
    Congrats on such great things going on in your life. I am so glad I found your new blog and on IG! Meili as grown up so much.
    Can't wait to follow your new adventures!
    Ally

    ReplyDelete